April 11, 2012

Jar Labels

Contrary to my mother's opinion, I think I am a fairly organized and tidy person. Yes, it takes a lot of work and maintenance, and sometimes I let my clean laundry sit unfolded for days or forget to unload the dishwasher, but that's beside the point! When you start getting older and have to pay for everything, you want things to look nice, (or decent at least). I like to cook and bake, and as a result have a lot of kitchen crap paraphernalia and ingredients. There's nothing worse than not being able to find something in your cabinet when you're in the middle of a recipe. So I took to pinterest to find a way to get things in order, and low and behold I found Kristine of the Painted Hive's tutorial on glass jar decals to get me started.


The Verdict: Let me start by saying I took Kristine's idea and simplified it. Her water proof decals called for paper that I could only find on the internet and a laminator. I'm all for buying new craft junk, but only if I know I'll use it again. Not sure I see a a lot a lamination going on in my future. So I went to Hobby Lobby, and bought clear adhesive backed computer printable transparent plastic sheets that I ran through my ink jet printer. They are not waterproof, but if this is a necessity for you, you can always CAREFULLY place an additional sheet over the printed dry one before you place them on your jars. I personalized my jars by making my own labels, which you can buy from my etsy store. I also made baking related ones (ie. sprinkles, chocolate chips, etc.) Printing, cutting, and applying them is easy.


I also bought the jars from Hobby Lobby. I choose wide necked ones to ensure getting the ingredient out would be easy. It's very hard to get you hand and measuring cup in those skinny tall ones!

I was impressed with the final result. They are practical, cute, and definitely helped with organizing the kitchen. I also ended up paying less for these than anything I would have found at the store or online, so I recommend pinning this one to get you on the road to arranging your kitchen!


1 comment:

  1. These are great! I'm definitely trying this, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete