February 17, 2013

Knit Cable Pillow

The Pin-Up Girl is back after a prolonged and unannounced hiatus. Mike, Macaroni, and I spent the summer building a house, a process that proved to be consuming both time wise and mentally. We are moved in and somewhat settled, so it’s back to blogging and now I can put all of those wonderful house ideas on pinterest to use!

I am not much of winter person, and this year seems to be especially harsh. -10 degrees? No thank you. I have pretty much been hibernating. This has given me plenty of time to do one of my favorite winter hobbies, knit! I taught myself a few years ago after finishing Graduate School. I needed something to keep my mind occupied while waiting to hear back on job applications! It’s often hard to find patterns online that aren't  well grandma-y. After much digging on pinterest, I came across AOK Corral’s Knit Cable Pillow Pattern that I thought would match my living room décor.


The pattern is easy to follow, even for a novice knitter. The size 10 needles give the fabric a nice stretch as well, so I didn’t worry too much about measuring an exact gauge. I made a few adjustments. I did not knit two separate pieces. I instead knit one large piece that measured 27 inches to avoid having to knit an extra seam. I also used a mattress stitch instead of a running stitch on the sides of the pillow. If you’re unfamiliar with this or need a reminder, head over to knitty, the tutorial has great visual aids. I thought this looked nicer and less visible than the running stitch. This took me about 2 weeks of on-and-off nightly knitting to complete and Mac now has a new favorite place on the couch to sit! Pin and knit up during the next blizzard!


No comments:

Post a Comment